Contrary to what Mike Francesa reported yesterday, apparently a manager can be fired after June 16. MMD blog fans - forgive me for a moment - for I happen to be a diehard New York Mets fan and I need to use this forum to attack the Wilpon family for their atrocious and TERRIBLE handling of the Willie Randolph firing. Here's a few things to consider:
- Why in the world would you FUCKING fly the guy to California, then play a good game against a great team, win the game, and then fire him? (after winning 3 out of 4 games no less)
- So were you saying you were unhappy that they took 2 out of 3 from Texas? Apparently not. So if you were going to fire him after winning the series versus Texas, then why on earth wouldn't you fire him BEFORE the Texas series, after they lost 2 heartbreakers to Arizona? And then if you missed the boat on that, why wouldn't you at least wait to the Mets lost a game or two on this roadtrip, which they are sure to do? (side point: How much do you think Omar was rooting for an Arizona 9th inning comeback last night off Wagner to justify the firing? Sorry Omar, it don't work like that).
- If you thought by doing this at 3AM, that you were going to avoid the backpage stories here in NY, think again. Because the print media is going to fire missiles tomorrow and the next day and the next. Don't piss off the media in New York.
- Who the fuck is running this ship - the Wilpons or Omar? To me, this is totally and completely a Wilpon move. Omar would not have wanted to fire Willie because now the focus falls on him. This was the Wilpons making Omar their puppet.
- Jerry Manuel as the savior? Really? Seriously? C'mon now?
- The Mets did one thing very well here. They turned Willie into a martyr. People who were calling for his head are now rallying around him.
- The Mets organization (Fred, Jeff, Omar) are a complete and utter joke. They are pathetic. The Mets had actually started to turn things around. Here's something to chew on. If Billy Wagner actually does his job last week and holds onto THREE multiple run leads, the Mets would have been winners of 7 out of their last 8 games and 5 out of their last 6 series. But now as a Mets fan, I find myself in a position where I am going to root against them the rest of the season. Now you may think why would I do that? The reason is that I don't want Omar and the Wilpons getting credit for turning things around, when the team actually had already started to turn things around. Also, I don't want Jerry Manuel as our manager and if the Mets put up decent numbers the rest of the way, that is exactly what will happen as the Wilpons will not want to dish out more money to another manager and will instead keep the cheap Manuel on board.
Meet the Mess. Greet the Mess. Step right up and beat the Mess.
And Now, A Note From Brian Powell
6 years ago