Thursday, June 5, 2008

Mike Quits on Yanks

Today we witnessed what I will refer to as Classic Francesa. After Toronto went up 8-6 in the Top of the 9th, Francesa quit on the Yankees. He said there was no chance they score 2 runs off BJ Ryan. No chance at all. This was Francesa building up something as impossible so that when/if the Yanks did it, it came off as that much more astonishing. He repeatedly said the "Yankees stink" and no way were they scoring off the "great BJ Ryan." Even when Matsui came up and singled, he still said not a good matchup with Giambi up. He was extremely negative, while at the same time trying to build up the impossible. "BJ Ryan is a GREAT pitcher. I have tremendous respect for BJ Ryan." The big shock here for me is that perhaps for the first time ever, I heard Francesa give up hope on the Yankees. He gave this game away several times, calling the Yanks dead in the water. And to me, the Big Man came off as extremely phony today. And now post win, Francesa is talking about how BJ Ryan doesn't have a lot of velocitity. Where were those comments going into the Bottom of the 9th? Mikey even took over the 20/20 update with glee when Giambi hit the game-winning home run. Hey I don't see Bob Heussler hijacking your segments, Mike. A wild game for sure, but typical stuff out of Francesa.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

In Mike's defense (oh man, I can't believe I just wrote those words), the Yankees haven't shown anything to indicate that they would come back and win this one. But yeah, he sounded like Benigno during a Mets' losing streak. I was waiting for him to say, "Oh, the pain." And his backpedaling on what he had just been saying about BJ Ryan was ridiculous.

DF said...

Seriously, I like a comeback win as much as the next guy. If you knew me you might even say more than the next guy. But getting jacked up for a regular season win.

Sounds suspiciously like . . . "oh my goodness gracious, of all the dramatic things I have ever seen [the yankees have beat BJ Ryan] in George Steinbrenner's box"

Anonymous said...

As for June 5's mikefrancesa.com activities, I've routinely found this both sad and funny. A few of the more pathetic regulars on that site panic when someone who posts once in a while as "Maggie" shows up; they agree with absolutely everything she writes, argue over her, and/or defend her from anyone who disagrees with her.

I always think how great it would be if "Maggie" were a dude, laughing at all these guys jumping through hoops and making fools of themselves trying to impress her (him?).

First Time, Long Time said...

df,...gotta agree mikey sounded an awful lot likey georgie's girl yesterday.

Anonymous said...

Mike is a fat slob who donesnt deserve to be heard over the airwaves with his fairweather fan mentality.

Anonymous said...

In reference to anonymous, I agree with your comments on Maggie. It is sad and pathetic the hoops that some guys go through in order to defend someone they never met just because she is a girl.

However, I have spoken to her and seen her with my own eyes. She is a girl. However, the picture that she uses as her picture isn't really her. It shouldn't surprise you to know that the girl in her picture is MUCH MUCH better looking than her actual self.