Thursday, June 25, 2009

Rhinestone Glove, Stupid Bracelets and Baseball

I heard a bit of the Big Fella today and I was really moved by his Michael Jackson eulogy. Trust me, not to be outdone, Michael Kay practically wet his pinstriped drawers fawning over Wacko's "greatness." I mean, c'mon, at least Francesa brought up the child molestation issues. Kay acted like he died, made horrible songs and videos and then cured cancer. Kay, quick note...It's why you're losing to a drone dude. Get rid of Donnie "Pucks", get a clue, lose the Billy Joel quote and maybe you got a shot. If not, no.

We all know I am pro-Mets and anti-Yankee. Still, Girardi, do we need to see the Lance homage around your wrist? Pretentious dude. Think you're alone in not liking cancer? Think again. Anyone who wears a livestrong yellow bracelet is begging to be made fun, daily. Welcome to the populace, Joe.

I was thinking today of great baseball players...Not all time great but great in the last 20 years. I removed the greats: ManRam, A-Rod, Pujols, Bonds, Belle, Sosa, McGwire, Griffey, etc. and tried to focus on the 2nd tier. I am trying to identify the best player I've ever seen, excluding
those above and excluding pitchers. Funnily enough, neither Inge, McLouth or Youk made my list. Guess I am not not paying enough attention to King Clutch a Diet Coke himself, huh?

My Pick: Chipper

Remember, it's a 20 year window and I am looking for 4/5 tools. There are a lot of great guys out there but I'd select Chipper.

What do you think? Who's your best player in the past 20 years?

10 comments:

Loki said...

Who the fuck is Michael Jackson?

Rob ny said...

What the fuck is the Internet?

gabagool said...

You mean besides Don Mattingly??

bigjf said...

Not sure I understand the concept here. You're looking for the best position players over the last 20 years who aren't necessarily "all-time greats?" Well, considering I've only been watching about 20 years, I would have to go with Tino Martinez. I remember studying him on defense, trying to be as good with the glove as he was. But as a right-handed batter, I actually patterned my swing a lot after Derek Jeter, just contact to the opposite field.

Chipper Jones to me is a hall of famer, so I'm looking at guys who aren't going to the hall.

Anonymous said...

Actually, I wasn't eliminating HOFers out of hand. Just didn't want the obvious like ARod, Bonds and Griffey who are all time greats, not just HOFers.

I mean, there are lots of HOFers that are not all time greats regardless of their induction.

Loki said...

Girardi FACE TO FACE with Mike! First MJ dies and then this?!?! WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO?

Anonymous said...

From Girardi to Sweeny...Will the love-in ever end? Only thing worse is a Manuel interview.

bigjf said...

Jim Thome comes to mind.

Whatdoyouhave? said...

Even though I hate him, Frank Thomas

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I thought of both Tome and Thomas...McGriff, too along with Bagwell, Jeter and Ichiro.